Thursday, January 7, 2010

a pointless story about spaghetti sauce


so yesterday I woke up wanting spaghetti. not crappy stuff from a jar either. I wanted GOOD spaghetti. so I started about 10am. gathered all the ingredients to my super secret sauce (ha! won't be a secret after I post this, will it? oh well, pretty sure NOBODY is gonna steal it). I got out the crock pot. set it on low. started putting it together like a mad scientist. tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, garlic, oregano, basil, pepper, carrots, mushrooms, olive oil (the good kind), red crushed peppers. I was set. Chris came home in the afternoon sniffing the air and chompin' at the bit. I ran out at 5:30 for fresh french bread (the grocery store starts putting out hot bread at 4pm.) Chris got us a glass of wine. we were set. I took the first bite. hmmmmmmm? that tastes a little weird. second bite. kinda borders on nasty. third bite "uh oh, I don't think we should eat this". I look up to see Chris looking at me with a weird expression. "what do you think?" he asked. I shook my head no. Hannah looks up and wants to know whats up. she is playing with bread and massive amounts of butter and has yet to touch the spaghetti. If you were to look at me at that moment I'm sure you would have seen the wheels turning. If I keep quiet we could all die of botulism. If I say something I may have to make a second dinner. which is worse? of course while all this is happening David is happily munching away. He eats the noodles plain. no sauce. he is, in fact, a freak. but a smart freak on this particular day. now Hannah has braved a taste and announces the sauce tastes like pennies. that's it! I take everyones plate and dump all the food in the trash. I have saved my family from certain death! I am a hero! you might ask "what was wrong with the sauce"? no clue. it tasted great every other time I've made it.
so if you are attending a BBQ at Anne Mitchell's house during the Tucson Gem Show and decide to have some chili, be advised...if it tastes like pennies, STOP! do not eat. because unless she changes her mind, I will have made the chili. fairly warned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home